Sunday, May 31, 2015

Behold

May 30, 2015
Moreau Lake State Park

[After a too-long absence, my blog has come to life again,
much like the butterflies we saw on our walk yesterday.
It was one of many walks this year with my dear friend Jackie,
who kept asking, "WHEN are you going to post another blog?"
It was she who, years ago, encouraged me to create this blog.
Her own blog is the fantastic Saratoga Woods and Waterways.

Less than 24 hours after our carefree nature stroll: while attending her grand-daughter's graduation, Jackie had an unfortunate fall.
She now faces knee surgery, and will have to forego woods-walks and paddling, at least for a while.

It was Jackie who pointed out these butterflies as we rambled along the lakeshore, telling me, "Be sure to look at the UNDERSIDE of their wings too."
We are blessed to be able to see such beauty flitting around us.
I am blessed to have such a friend.
I hope some of these quotes make her smile today.]

We accuse savages of worshipping only the bad spirit, or devil,
though they may distinguish both a good and a bad;
but they regard only that one which they fear and worship the devil only.
We too are savages in this,
doing precisely the same thing.
This occurred to me yesterday as I sat in the woods
admiring the beauty of the blue butterfly.

Red-Spotted Purple

We are not chiefly interested in birds and insects,
for example,
as they are ornamental to the earth and cheering to man,
but we spare the lives of the former
only on condition that they eat more grubs than they do cherries …

The catechism says that the chief end of man 
is to glorify God and enjoy him forever,
which of course is applicable mainly to God
as seen in his works.
Yet the only account of its beautiful insects, 
butterflies, etc. –
which God has made and set before us
which the State ever thinks of spending any money on
is the account of those which are injurious to vegetation!
This is the way we glorify God and enjoy him forever.
 


White Admiral

Come out here and behold
a thousand painted butterflies
and other beautiful insects which people the air,
then go into the libraries
and see what kind of prayer and glorification of God
is there recorded.
Massachusetts has published her report on
“Insects Injurious to Vegetation,”
and our neighbor
the “Noxious Insects of New York.”
We have attended to the evil
and said nothing about the good.
    HDT Journal, May 1, 1859




The butterfly counts not months but moments,
and has time enough.
--Rabindranath Tagore



White Admiral, adult lifespan 6 to 14 days

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tzu,
dreamt I was a butterfly,
fluttering hither and thither,
to all intents and purposes a butterfly...
Suddenly, I awoke,
and there I lay, myself again.
Now I do not know whether
I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.

    -- Chuang Tzu (Zhuangzi) 



The caterpillar does all the work
but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

   --George Carlin

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Jackie's fall and wishing her a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this beautiful post! Yes, the quotes did cheer me, and so did the photos of the last walk we will have together for quite some time. How amazing that you were able to capture those red spots on the underwings of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete